macOS Systems Engineering
Windows Systems Engineering
Hello, my name isGilbert Palau
Igniter, Thinker, Do'er
macOS Systems Engineering
Windows Systems Engineering
Engineering Lead (macOS SME) February 2019 - Present
● Design and engineer automated build processes for macOS deployment.
● Work with convergence builds to include core software and OS customization.
● Act as subject matter expert for the technical aspects of macOS.
● Write scripts to automate tasks using Bash and Applescript.
● Build applications packages for distribution using JAMF Pro.
LREI High School
Senior Systems Engineer (Mac) August 2018 - February 2019
Review and update documentation for ongoing workflows and processes.
● Deployed 5000 laptop and tablet devices for the beginning of school year.
● Optimize and upgrade FileWave MDM server and remote boosters.
● Automated processes for upgrading 5000 laptops (2500 each to High Sierra 10.13.6 and Mojave 10.14.1).
● Ran 72-hour project to prepare school IT infrastructure for start of new school year. Wrote and automated user account creation process, using NoMAD and NoLOAD; created application deployment workflow for MS Office 2016 and Adobe CC 2019; updated knowledge base.
Senior Systems Engineer (Mac) May 2018 - August 2018
Built and updated application deployment packages using JAMF Pro.
● Automated hardware deployments via DEP.
● Built Windows 10 images with MDT; deployed images to Bootcamp with Deploy Studio.
● Optimized scripts in JAMF; wrote scripts to enable renaming endpoints in accordance with company's naming scheme.
● Optimized Windows 10 Enterprise imaging via MDT and Deploy Studio. Optimized Desktop Support workflow in Service Now.
● Enforced password policies with NoMAD and SSO with OKTA.
● Improved imaging methodology for legacy systems.
● Managed CentOS servers incorporating development infrastructure.
Univision Communications, Inc.
Senior Desktop Engineer (Mac) June 2013 - May 2018
Managed application package building, deployment, and updates (Windows, macOS).
● Support MS Exchange Management and Active Directory Management (Windows, macOS).
● Built deployment images and application packages, using Dell KACE (Windows) and FileWave (macOS).
● Administered FileWave and Dell KACE; provided technical support for escalated user community issues.
● Served as Subject Matter Expert for macOS hardware, software and Deployment Automation.
● Managed Mac devices using FileWave; oversaw increase in number of devices from +400 to +2000.
● Managed Windows devices using KACE; oversaw increase in number of devices from +2000 servers and +10,000 desktops to +4000 servers and +12,000 desktops. Built and configured images on VM; imported images into K2000 for deployment.
● Worked with InfoSec to deploy servers such that devices could be serviced both within firewalls and on the internet in general.
● Coded application-deployment scripts with Bash and AppleScript. Built processes for Profile Management. Ensured compatibility with Windows QoS.
● Built scripts to maintain 3rd-party applications using AutoPKGr. Built process to allow importing updates into FileWave to facilitate management.
● Designed, tested, and corrected solutions prior to release in production environment. Provided level-III support as necessary.
● Built OS images; deployed images via FileWave. Built deployment scripts; optimized deployment workflows within MDM.
● Built deployment workflows for encrypting hardware with FileVault 2.
● Built workflows and application packages; maintained platform ecosystem.
● Deployed 40 remote service appliances; configured appliances to support remote images.
● Created zero-touch procedures with DEP and NoMAD for deploying new Mac laptops.
● Leveraged self-service kiosk via Filewave; reduced Helpdesk tickets by ~40% for savings of ~$50K/month.
● Trained Windows platform team in system optimization procedures.
● Trained Level II Desktop Support technicians.
Systems engineering consultant July 2011 - June 2013
● Analyzed, planned, designed, and developed system platform deployment automation for a variety of clients.
● Supported T-Mobile: RBO (Frisco, TX; ~600 employees), North-West Texas Market (2600 stores), field employees (~400 employees). Software: OS reimaging, creating images via SCCM and Ghost, Active Directory management. Hardware: Ingenico Credit Card processors, HTG Inventory Scanners, printers.
● Supported Mission Foods: Wrote process for on- and off-boarding employees. Provided level-1 and -2 support (network, server, software, telephony). Deployed hardware (2500 desktops and laptops), OSes, and software (productivity applications).
● Supported Rapp Collins: Supported hybrid environment (3000 Mac, 1000 Windows). Built image deployment solution with DeployStudio. Deployed software packages (productivity and graphics applications) and configuration scripts via Munki. Built local Apple Software Update Server with Reposado; used Margarita as web front end UI.
● Supported GameStop: Automated deployment of new PoS system to 10,000 retail outlets worldwide.
● Supported QBE: Oversaw deployment of ~250 desktops. Coordinated receiving; assembled deployment line. Imaged machines using SCCM.
● Supported Joerns Healthcare: Configured desktop access (SAP, printers, Cisco Phone, Unity Voicemail, and iPhone, Blackberry, and Android phones); provided technical support to executive branch employees (C-level).
Support Engineer (Level III) February 2009 - June 2011
● Built Windows deployments with Altiris.
● Built OS X-specific image deployment architecture. Created images, deployed images with DeployStudio, distributed applications with Munki.
● Built Open Directory infrastructure; integrated with pre-existing Active Directory infrastructure.
Rockwall, TX 75087